You can make a choice now to care for yourself
- Self-care – Have a cold drink or a crunchy snack, take a nap and rest, call some one
- Get moving and use your senses – Listen to an upbeat tune, dance, exercise, or sing
- Get creative – Draw around your hand or foot, make a doodle, write or scribble
- Distract – Snap an elastic band or hair bobble on your wrist or hold an ice cube
- Relax and sooth – Watch your tummy go in and out as you take deep breaths
How can I get help?
Why do people self-harm?
People self-harm for many different reasons and you may not fully understand why you want to – but there are different ways to cope and get help.
- For some people it is a way to cope with or express overwhelming emotions or relieve tension that’s just too much.
- Self-harm can also be a way of showing someone how upset you feel.
- It can be a way of feeling more in control, especially if other parts of your life feel out of control or you’re trapped in a difficult situation.
- It can be a way of feeling something when you feel numb.
Things you might find useful
App designed to help manage the urge to self harm. Download the Calm Harm app from App Store / Google Play. Select ‘West Yorkshire’.Calm Harm
The messaging boards are a useful place to find support and advice around self-harm.ChildLine